Monday, October 15, 2012

Things learned down in the holler.

I returned Saturday from a week -long mission trip in Frakes, Kentucky at the Henderson Settlement. I was thinking about what I would share in the blog when I got back, but decided there was too much so I'm going to give a running list of lessons learned, funny moments, etc.

1. I think first and foremost it is important to understand what a holler is. When someone says holler- they mean hollow. It wasn't clear to me, just sayin.

2. I used to love riding in the church van/bus but riding in the back of the church bus on curvy roads is a recipe for motion sickness.

3. Once you're down in the holler say goodbye to cell reception and hello to person-to-person communication.

4. We were alarmed on Tuesday morning when there were more than 2 cars on the road.

5. The dining facilities reminded me fondly of Estes dining hall. Don't worry Macon friends, I didn't use a tray.

6. Vegetarian isn't in the vocabulary in Kentucky.

7. I thought I could get away with wearing my Duke stuff because it's a very similar blue to UK. Nope. This was not successful.

8. I still wore my Duke stuff.

9. Playing the 80's version of Trivial Pursuit with people 20 years your senior does not a winner make. Let's just say I only got one pie piece because it was about Romeo and Juliet. [answers learned will make an appearance in the list].

10. The blue whale is the fastest growing animal.

11. There were two Gerry's - little Gerry and big Gerry. Big Gerry was trying to get me to switch with their pastor. The Pastor was not too fond of this idea.

12. I got to read fiction books, winning.

13. We rode an open air train to one of the coal mines and when we stopped at one of the mines, the announcement as we exited the train was "We have a snake in the gift shop for you to see". You found a snake and now it's an attraction? oh my.

14. Cows are funny animals. Bulls are scary animals.

15. We often confuse byson for buffalos.

16. We saved a goat from being drowned by two dogs.

17. Square is square, level is level, and a secure ladder is a secure ladder.

18. When I tried to be crafty and take one of the old windows home to make a table, I was shot down. I blame pinterest.

19. If you need windows replaced, just call me.

20. I didn't miss my electronics.

21. A lady on the trip kept saying Boom shaka laka. I'm bringing it back.

22. There were a bunch of porch swings.

23. Watching sunsets is one of the quietest activities ever.

24. If you see a Fatz cafe off the innerstate, trust your instincts, or don't. It's actually good.

25. The Settlement is one of the amazing ministries supported by the United Methodist Church.

These aren't all the lessons but just a few for you to take with you:)

Peace,
LB

1 comment: